What is Healthy Living?
You cannot buy your health: you must earn it through healthy living. Joel Fuhrman
To me, healthy living is about making positive choices to enhance your physical, mental and spiritual well-being. It isn’t always easy, especially in our hectic busy lives. It is also a long-term commitment.
I realized when I developed my autoimmune/endocrine disorders in 2010 that I could either listen to my doctors, take my medications and learn to live with my disorders or do my own research and possibly find a way to reverse them and get my health back.
There are several steps you can take to make your life healthier. Here are some tips, facts and ideas to live a healthful lifestyle:
- Never skip any meals especially breakfast!!! It isn’t healthy nor the smart way to lose weight. A lot of research has documented that you end up gaining back belly fat down the road. Yo-yo dieting does not work. You will also feel tired as your body needs fuel. Plus cutting back on meals means lower nutritional intake which is required for many important biological functions such as disease prevention.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Your diet should consist of organic fruits, vegetables, whole foods/grains, and organic protein sources such as poultry, lentils and eggs.
- Portion control. It is amazing how big our portions have become over the years. Remember the ‘supersize meals’ at McDonalds. A bagel 20 years ago was only 3″ diameter and 140 calories. Today a bagel is 6″ in diameter and 350 calories. I actually started using my salad plates as my dinner plates.
- Avoid sodas and refined sugar. Replace your refined sugar with healthier alternatives such as stevia or raw honey. Keep track of how much sugar you eat.
- Drink more water. 8 glasses a day is recommended. Water flushes your systems and keeps you hydrated. Dehydration causes you to feel tired.
- Avoid processed or packed foods when possible such as canned soups. Remember to read the labels as these foods are usually high in sodium, sugar and/or preservatives. Prepare more of your own meals.
- Read labels!!! It is important to educate yourself and become aware of what is in your food and personal care products.
- Clean your pantry and get rid of the junk food. Junk food can be tempting especially when you are hungry and/or in a hurry.
- Buy a slow cooker. Seriously, a must have in your kitchen. This is such an easy way to make healthy meals.
- Exercise regularly. All you need is 30 minutes a day 3 times a week. i.e. walking, running, golfing, biking, aerobics. Just pick something you enjoy so you stick with it!!!!
- Quit smoking!!!!
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Avoid or cut down on stress. Well-nourished bodies deal with stress better. Learn to meditate. Even a few minutes a day can help ease anxiety.
- Be happy and enjoy life!!! Laugh more and have fun. This helps with your mental health.
- Personal development and daily affirmations. Spiritual well-being is an important component to a healthy living. Discover what is important to you and what makes you happy.
- Declutter your life. Getting rid of clutter from your life can make you more focused, relaxed and productive. Make piles - keep, sell, give away, trash and undecided. Your environment is a direct reflection of your mental health. If your home is disorganized, your mind may feel scattered as well.
“Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open.” B.K.S. Iyengar
Detox Your Life!
Living a healthy lifestyle means looking out for not just what you eat, but also for what you put on your body.
These are the chemicals to avoid in your personal care products.
Whether you can smell them or not, you are exposed to thousands of chemicals. You are what you absorb - through your skin, what you ingest and what you breathe in. Choosing personal care and household products that are certified natural and organic can reduce your toxic load.
Click here to find out ways you can limit your exposure of harmful chemicals in your home.
When you buy certified organic products and products made with certified organic ingredients, you are supporting a system of sustainable agricultural management that promotes the health of the environment and all its inhabitants.
Organic personal care products are better for your overall health. Your body has an easier time digesting and using ingredients such as burdock root, aloe vera and calendula. The products are also more effective because they do not contain harsh chemicals that can end up irritating your skin or causing imbalances in your body. Many of these chemicals are endocrine disruptors, hormone mimickers and carcinogens.
Your skin and body will become more balanced and show less signs of stress and aging.
The Miessence Difference
- Miessence is the world's first extensive range of internationally certified organic products for skin, hair, body, cosmetic, oral and nutrition.
- Products are delivered directly to you fresh, within a short time of being made in a unique cold formulation to ensure fully potent living active ingredients.
- No organic ingredient enters our production process before it has been officially certified organic and no product leaves our warehouse without it passing our multi-faceted quality control tests.
- Our supply chain, manufacturing processes and freight distribution is 110% certified carbon negative. Carbon negative means we offset MORE than we emit in our manufacturing, transportation and promotion processes.
- Our non-toxic, non-leaching packaging meets the standards for organic certification and we use renewable energy in our production facilities and offices.